A simple dish that is infused with flavours
Ingredients for the Steak:
- 1/2 cup Kiwis – chopped – Adding kiwi to your steak while it marinates soften up the steak and makes it more tender and less chewy!
- 450 g beef flank steak or steak strips
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoon cane syrup or honey – this brings out the taste of steak
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Ingredients for the Pan-Roasted Okra:
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 200g of fresh okra – halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 2 strips of bacon, cut into large dice- optional
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 large garlic clove, mashed to a paste
- 1 squeezed lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the steak –
- Marinate the steak in the kiwi for an hour. Remove the steak, pat it dry with two changes of paper towels, and then season it with the salt and black pepper. Add some butter to the pan and add the steak. Cook for 3 minutes on the first side. Then flip it and cook for 2 minutes on the second side for rare, 3 minutes for medium-rare. Leave the piece of steak to rest, tent it with foil, for 10 minutes.
For the Pan-Roasted Okra-
- Heat a pan over high heat until very hot and brush lightly with olive oil. In a bowl, toss the okra with 1 Tbs. of the oil and season with 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Pour the remaining tablespoon oil into the pan over medium-high heat, and when it shimmers, add the bacon. Sauté the bacon until it just begins to brown, about 4 minutes, then add the onion and 1/2 tsp. salt. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute to let its flavour infuse. Then add the tomatoes, and stir to combine. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the okra to the tomato mixture, stir, and cook just until the okra is heated through about 2 minutes. Season to taste with the lemon, salt, and black pepper; serve.