This Pie recipe is a little creation of mine, I was bored of the usual pies and so decided to experiment by combining different types of pie into one and the result was pretty good that I made this pie twice in less than a week!
I made the pie crust in two different ways:
- Using flour
- Using biscuit
I preferred the pie crust made of flour as it keeps a hint of classical pies whilst the biscuit pie crust gives a feel of cheesecake, so it depends on your preference when it comes to which pie to make.
A bit of a notice though with the biscuit crust it was quite hard to cut and serve it as it does break easily!
Pie crust (Biscuit) –
- Any plain biscuit you prefer
Pie crust (Flour)-
- 1&1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 6 peeled and chopped red Apples
- 2 cups of Pecans
- 2 cups of Dates
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 a squeezed lemon
- To prepare the biscuit crust – crush the biscuit and add the melted butter on top, then in a serving tray start smoothening it out.
- To prepare the flour crust – place the flour, salt, and sugar in a bowl, mix them well using a hand mixer, then add the butter and shortening. With the hand mixer running, pour the water down and mix until the dough begins to form a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For the filling – Add the dates (remove seeds in them), pecans, and whipping cream to a blender and blend until smooth. In a pan add the apples on high heat until they start turning dark yellow then add sugar, 6 tsp of cinnamon and squeezed lemon and mix until they are soft.
- If you used the flour based crust add some butter to your tray to avoid the dough sticking then smoothen it out and pop it in the oven for 10- 15 minutes (turns golden). Then add the pecan and date mixture. Finally, top it with the cooked apples and put it in the oven for 5 minutes.
- If you used the biscuit based crust – after smoothening the biscuit in the tray add the pecan and date mixture. Add the cooked apples and put in the oven for 5 minutes.
Serve hot with vanilla ice cream!
Until next time, crave the dish…