I think by now you would have guessed that my relationship with spinach is going strong. I can’t recall a week passing without me cooking something with spinach in it. I mean why not? spinach is very nutritious and probably my favorite green leave out there!
Yes, this recipe contains spinach …
I learned this recipe from a Greek friend, he is a foodie just like me and loves putting twists on the norms. This type of pie is very common to find in Greece, although where it originates from is unclear some people say Italy and some people say turkey. On the other hand, my friend is fixated on the fact that it originated from Greece and I believe so too!
So here is how to make the most irresistible spinach greek pie!
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 handful of chopped mint
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup of fresh milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 10 sheets of phyllo dough
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200*C.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Saute onion, green onions and garlic, until soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in spinach and parsley, and continue to saute until spinach is half cooked (changes color from bright green to dark green) about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta, 2 beaten eggs, and feta. Stir in spinach mixture.
- Prepare the baking tray (I used a circular baking pan), by brushing olive oil on all sides of the tray.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough on the prepared baking tray, and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat the process with two more sheets of phyllo. Depending on how thick you want the base, add the phyllo sheets.
- Spread spinach and cheese mixture on top of the phyllo sheets and fold overhanging dough over filling.
- In a bowl mix 1 beaten egg with milk.
- Brush the dough with egg and milk mixture, then layer remaining sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with egg mixture.
- Tuck overhanging dough into the tray to ensure the filling doesn’t leak outside.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve while hot.