- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic ( optional as I like to store my pesto sauce for 2 weeks or so I tend to not add garlic, however it does infuse the flavors, so add it if you will use the sauce in the next three days of making it )
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Cooking cream (optional same guidance as the garlic applies)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese or Parmesan cheese
Note: You can still add garlic and cream and store it for up to 3 months by freezing it. However, I don’t like the texture of the sauce once it defrosts (it gets too watery).
- Combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts and cheese in a food processor till the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Add the olive oil and cooking cream and blend well.
- Season with salt and pepper.